Guarantee to find a Flat - Fast!

Got Questions? Here Is Our London Relocation Frequently Asked Questions

Where in London should I live?

This can depend on your individual requirements such as budget, commute, lifestyle and even the style of property you want to achieve. Certain areas of London will offer you certain types of properties and at varying costs. The closer to the center of London you are, the more expensive the rent is. The further away from the city, you are the more you get for your money! Pets can also dictate areas of London as some will be more suitable for finding pet-friendly properties than other areas. For example, East London with all its purpose-built blocks and new builds is far less pet-friendly than it looks. This is mainly because a lot of the blocks and new buildings will have restrictions on them that stipulate pets are not allowed in the entire building. So landlords are not allowed to consider them at all. Chat to us to find out more!

How much do I need to spend to get a nice 1/2/3/4 bed in the city?

1 bedroom properties in the city will start from £1700-1800 per month upwards depending on size, quality and finish along with location. 2 bed properties will start from £2200-2500 per month upwards, 3 bed properties would start from £3200-3500 upwards depending on location and finish, 4 bed properties would start from £4000 and upwards. It can vary a little, these are just guidelines. Central London is a lot more expensive than any other part of London so you will pay a higher premium on rent to live in Central London locations. You may be able to find properties of similar size and finish for less if you looked further from the city.

What references are required to rent a property in London?

A standard reference check would be very similar to a credit check. They would need to confirm your identity, your address, and your affordability. The affordability check will require you to confirm you have full-time employment in the UK and that you can afford to pay the rent for the property you are trying to secure. This usually requires confirmation of your employment and income from your employer along with verification of this information with your employer. If you are self-employed this can sometimes mean providing proof of income and bank statements to show the regularity and amount of the income being received. If you are unemployed or a student, as you will not have UK based income, this will mean paying rent upfront most often than not for a minimum of 6 months at a time.

What references are required as a student in London?

As a student, you would need to provide confirmation of acceptance into your course/college/university. Usually, this would come in the form of a CAS letter the school would send you to confirm your acceptance. You would then need to provide the standard documents – i.e. Passport, Visa, Proof of Address, Character Reference alongside this.

Where can I find pet friendly properties in London?

Finding pet friendly properties can be tricky as you need to ensure you are looking at period properties where it is up to the individual landlords whether or not to accept pets. Not all landlords will accept pets and the number of pets you have (if more than 1) will also limit this further. For anyone with more than 4 pets it would be next to impossible to find a landlord in London that would allow this may pets in their property. For the most part, South West and West London areas are more likely to give you more pet friendly options than East, South East or even North London in general. You can find some options in North London and other areas but it would be very limited in numbers.

Can I get utilities included in the rent?

Unless you are considering a studio flat in London, most properties will not include any utilities or Council Tax. Some studio flats may have heating and hot water included but any other utilities will be in addition to the monthly rent and would be the responsibility of the incoming tenant. On a rare occasion you may find one or two properties where a landlord may agree to include utilities in rent but  these kinds of properties are mostly shared flats or houses.

How much will utilities cost on top of rent?

Utilities can vary depending on the house, location, and usage of each individual/family. Basic utility costs for a 4 bed can be estimated as below, with some additional monthly costs if you want to factor them in.

  • Council Tax (will depend on area) £80 – £200 per month-
  • Water (will depend on usage) £80 per month-
  • Gas & Electric (will depend on usage) £125 per month-
  • Internet + TV package £50 per month
  • TV license £12.56 per month (£157.50 per year)-
  • Mobile phone £35 per line per month (family packs are available)-
  • Adult Travel zones 1-2: £138 per month (can buy an annual for a discount)

What is council tax and how much does it cost?

Council tax is a tax levied on households by local authorities in Britain, based on the estimated value of a property and the number of people living in it. This can vary depending on which Council or Borough your property would fall into. Usually, it can be around £80-200 per month depending on the area, size, and property value.

How do I get a UK bank account?

To open a UK bank account you would normally need to provide proof of address in the UK. Some banks may accept a signed tenancy agreement or a letter from your employer. Others may need a utility bill to show proof of address to open an account. We can make an introduction to one of two high street banks if you need assistance with this process!

Are properties generally furnished or unfurnished?

This can depend on the areas you want to consider along with the size of the property. Most 1-2 bed properties in the city will come furnished. There are some that may come unfurnished but it is more common for 2 beds or smaller to come with furniture included than not. 3-4 bed properties or larger houses (or family homes) will tend to come unfurnished more often than not. As most families will have their own furniture when they move/look for a new home to rent, these properties come unfurnished for the most part to allow for families to have their own belongings in their new home.

When you go further out of London this changes, most properties including smaller 1-2 bed properties will tend to come unfurnished more than furnished. The further into the country you go, this becomes more common than finding furnished properties.

Are appliances included in unfurnished properties?

All White Goods – i.e. washing machine, oven, fridge/freezer will be included in an unfurnished property or part furnished property.

How far in advance should I be looking for properties?

As most landlords in London must receive a minimum of 2 months notice before a tenant vacates, you can look up to 8 weeks in advance of your ideal move date for a property to rent in London. We would always recommend coming out earlier if you can to view suitable options and have something secured ahead of your move.

Can I take a property unseen?

It is not recommended that you take a property unseen. You would have to sign a non-viewing declaration agreeing to take the property as is which means you cannot make any requests of your landlord to change anything once the property is secured and you move. This does not include any property management issues that will be addressed as normal. However, if this is something you are comfortable agreeing to, you can take a property unseen. We can also assist with this by doing a viewing on your behalf to help make a more informed decision.

If I can’t come to London ahead of my move, how long will I need temporary accommodation for?

We would recommend that you have at least 7-10 business days as a minimum in temporary accommodation. If you can have temporary accommodation for longer then this will give you more flexibility and potentially open up more options to you.

What is included in your services?

Our service includes your Home Search, negotiation and review of tenancy agreement and other paperwork along with assistance through the referencing process and can also include an after care service should you choose to add this on.

How much does your services cost?

Our fees can vary depending on the type of service you require. Call or email us to find out more!

How is London Relocation different from an agency?

We are fully retained by our clients and we work solely on their behalf. So unlike an estate agent who works to get their landlord the best deal, we work on your behalf to ensure you get the best deal. We also guarantee our service – which no other estate agent or relocation agent does – that is unique to us!

Do I need any additional paperwork to find a property via your service?

You would need to provide us with hard copies of the reference documents ahead of your appointment with us, but otherwise, no other documentation will initially be required to complete our Home Search.

What is London Relocation?

London Relocation is your number 1 Flat Finding Service in London!

Can London Relocation help me buy a property?

Absolutely! The process is not as quick as finding a property to rent as it is not as fast paced as the rental market. Give us a call to find out more!

What type of property can London Relocation find for me?

We can find you the property that you need in an area you will love! It’s all about understanding your priorities and matching it to the London market – whether that’s a traditional period property or a state of the art brand new building with facilities, we will help you understand where you can find what you need and help you get it secured, and fast!

What London areas do you cover?

We cover all areas of London and even cover some of the Home Counties (within the M25).

How fast can London Relocation find a property for me?

We can find a property for you in 1 day!

How can I start with London Relocation?

Give us a call or send us an email and we can get you started! It’s as simple as that!

Talk To Us About Your
Specific Needs

Request A Call Back