CALL NOW USA/CA 1 800 903 1658      UK +44 20 7993 0422 [email protected]

Relocation to London – Speak British English Like a Local (Random!)

Okay, time to bring on home this lengthy series about British English versus American English to aid your international relocation to London. I’ve been emphasizing every day since last week that there is quite a bit of terminology that differs between the two English languages, and while this hasn’t been an exhaustive list by any means, it’s hopefully been a comprehensive enough one to get you started on your way to fluency. 🙂 Yesterday, I listed words related to transportation, and, similarly, every day has been devoted to a specific category. Today, however, we’re left with a smorgasbord of randomness…basically, a miscellany of odds-n-ends from my glossary that didn’t logically fit in anywhere else. Well, there might be no rhyme or reason to ’em, but they have a home here.

Relocation to London – Speak British English Like a Local (People and Places)

An international relocation from America will teach you much about diverse cultures. Moving to London in particular will expose you to more than you probably realize, as many perceive the UK as being very similar to the US. That’s true, but only to an extent, and among the many differences (which we’re constantly blogging about here) is language. That’s right, British English varies from American English, so we’re back this week to continue reviewing some terminology that could help for your London move. Last Friday we covered sundries, the little miscellaneous things you’ll need at the office or in your London apartment rental. Today, let’s step outside our London apartments and get to know some of the folks out there and places we can go.

Relocation to London – Speak British English Like a Local (Sundries)

When making a relocation to London from the US, you’ll see (and hear) that British English can often differ from American English. Differences in spelling, pronunciation, and terminology can pose a challenge to expats moving to London. To supplement earlier posts I’ve written on how to “speak the Queen’s English,” I’ve been blogging all week on British English and will continue after our Weekend Warrior Saturday and Sunday. Yesterday, we scanned our grocery list for standard foods, and today we’ll delve into some other items you might purchase while out at the shops.

Relocation to London – Speak British English Like a Local (Food)

A relocation to London from America entails an education in learning British English. My past posts on “speaking the Queen’s English” (found under the “London Language Barriers” category) include grocery items, and the list below should be more exhaustive. Yesterday we talked about vocabulary relating to children, so whether you have young mouths to feed or just your own, now you’ll know what to look for in the grocery aisles.

Relocation to London – Speak British English Like a Local (Children)

Making an international relocation to London from the US has enough challenges; one that many Americans don’t anticipate, though, is having to learn another language—they take it for granted that the UK is English-speaking. While you’ll get along just fine (really! Don’t worry!), it’s worthwhile to brush up on your British English knowledge so it shows that you’re at least trying. 🙂 I’ve written posts before about how to “speak the Queen’s English” (category: “London Language Barriers”), and I’m dedicating all this week and part of next to more of these British English terms. Yesterday we focused on clothing, and today we’ll cover some useful terms if you’re moving to London with a family.