When making a relocation from the US, you’ll see (and hear) that British English can often differ from American English. Differences in spelling, pronunciation, and terminology can pose a challenge to expats moving to London. To supplement earlier posts I’ve written on how to “speak the Queen’s English,” I’ve been blogging all week on British English and will continue after our Weekend Warrior Saturday and Sunday. Yesterday, we scanned our grocery list for standard foods, and today we’ll delve into some other items you might purchase while out at the shops. This is the type of stuff you’ll go to Ryman, Boots, and Homebase (the Office Max, Walgreens/Duane Reade, and Home Depot of London) for:

[American English = British English]

adhesive tape = sticking plaster
eraser = rubber (slang for ‘condom’ would be ‘wellie’ instead)
rubber cement = cow gum
scotch tape = sellotape
scratch pad = scribbling pad/block
planner (for scheduling) = diary
thumb tack = drawing pin
white-out = tipp-ex

band-aid = plaster
bobbie pin = hair grip/kirby grip
clothes pin = clothes peg
cotton batting = cotton wool
cotton swab/Q-tip = cotton bud
flashlight = torch
kerosene = paraffin
pitcher = jug
pot holders = oven gloves/cloth
rubbing alcohol = surgical spirit
spatula = fish slice
spool = cotton reel
thread = cotton
wash cloth = face flannel

The Relocation agency only searches for apartments that are close to amenities, so you’ll surely have the necessary shops nearby to fulfill your home and office needs. Moving for an international relocation is an adjustment where knowing where to shop is concerned, so be sure to ask our Relocation agents to point you in the right direction.

You May Also Like

By London Relocation | 14 Aug 2020 | ABOUT THE RELOCATION PROCESS
By London Relocation | 31 Jan 2020 | Tips for First-Time Relocatees
By London Relocation | 16 Jan 2020 | The London Blog