CALL NOW USA/CA 1 800 903 1658      UK +44 20 7993 0422 [email protected]
Moving to London advice – you’ll need to register for… EVERYTHING!

There’s a lot of details to organize when you’re moving to London. First, of course, is your new apartment, because everything, and I do mean everything stems from that choice. While there will be a lot of excitement, adventure and the thrill of living in one of the greatest cities in the world, unfortunately, there will also be a lot of paperwork. There’s just no getting away from admin and you should try and get as much done as soon as possible to ensure that you’re settled as fast as possible and can get out and enjoy your new city and your new home.

Moving to London Advice – You’ll Need to Register With…

moving to london advice council taxJust as soon as you have found your perfect new London rental you need to make sure that you contact the local council to register you at that address, not only will it help for future financial dealings, like opening bank accounts, but will also help you at your local doctor and with the National Health Service in an emergency. You will have to pay council tax while after moving to London and they will need an address to start billing.

As a full-service company London Relocation can help you register at your local council. The best moving to London advice I got when I relocated, was to start with the council, because once that is done, and you have proof of registration, everything else tends to fall into place pretty quickly.

Register with a Local Doctor

moving to london advice nhsChoosing a local doctor is quite important after your move. You’ll have to register at a local surgery to be provided with any type of health care in the UK. Remember it’s free – (Americans moving to London, insert your shock here!) so there is a great deal of value in getting this sorted out fast. Most doctors don’t take walk in patients, so getting registered means that you can see your doctor whenever you need to instead of going to a public health clinic.

Moving to London Advice – Utilities

Small items need to be sorted out when you’re moving to London. Getting your utilities turned on may seem a trivial aspect of your big move, but you need to prepare for it. In fact, this service forms part of our Needs Assessment from the very start. You don’t have to go with the first power services provider in your area. There are a number of excellent power utility companies that provide very competitive rates and services. There are dozens of companies providing electricity and gas in London and across England.

Pay for Public TV – It’s True

moving to london advice tv licenceYou’ll have to get a TV license after moving to London, remember that your television license is registered to your address, not you as a person, so if you move home, you have to change your address details with the BBC licensing department. You can do all of the paperwork to apply for a television license as well as renew your license and change your London flat address online at the BBC licensing website and they will post your license card to your new address.

Yes, there’s a lot to sort out when you move, some details seem more important than others, (until you’ve received a whopping fine for not paying your TV license it might seem like a trivial registration) but it’s important that you start your Moving to London Checklist ahead of your move. If you’d like help with setting up you list, please feel free to give us a call. We’re available to talk about any and every aspect of your move, and as a team of expats, we know how essential it is to feel on top of things.

Sharing is Caring!